Monday, 19 June 2017

Review: When Dimple Met Rishi

Hi everyone!
Today's post is going to be a review for the book When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon. I got this book of Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. I was super excited to see this title available to request on Netgalley. I was even more excited when I got the email to say I was accepted to review the book. So let us get onto the review.


Title: When Dimple Met Rishi
Author: Sandhya Menon
Publish date: 13th July 2017
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Genre: YA, Contemporary
Pages: 384
Format: E-Book
Series: Standalone
Days to read: 6 days
Rating: 4.5 STARS


What is this book about?
This book follows our two main characters, Dimple and Rishi, who are both American Indian and are being set up for an arranged marriage by their parents. Dimple is totally against the arranged marriage and is feminist, all she wants is to go to college and have a career. Rishi is a hopeless romantic and is all for the arranged marriage, he believes there is something romantic about it all. Their parents decide the best place for the both of them to meet is Insomnia Con and see if they would be compatible enough to go ahead with the arranged marriage. When they meet Dimple is angry at her parents for this and Rishi is worried he let his parents down. They both think they have each other all figured out. But as the saying goes 'opposites attract'.

My non-spoiler thoughts
One thing I loved about this book which I didn't know going into the book (even though it's in the synopsis on Goodreads) is that this book is dual point of view. You get to read the story through both Dimple and Rishi which I loved. I love multiple POV's because I feel like you learn more about the characters because you can see how they view things and also their thoughts and feelings. For example whenever something important happened like when they first kissed the POV would change. That way you got to see what both Dimple and Rishi was thinking and feeling.

Another thing I loved about this book was the setting of the majority of the book. Most of this book was set in San Francisco at something called Insomnia Con. Which I thought was a really good setting. I haven't read a book with this sort of setting before, like in a geeky sort of setting. I thoroughly enjoyed the Little Comic Con as well. It was such a geeky setting and made my geeky heart melt. I also enjoyed the book being set in San Francisco because I don't believe I have read a book set in San Francisco before. I enjoyed all the restaurants that they went to and the descriptions of them. Although I do have to admit it did make me quite hungry though because they always seemed to be going out to eat.

For the most part I really enjoyed the characters in this book. Rishi was absolutely amazing. I thought it was quite refreshing to see a character that is family orientated and isn't rebellious. I mean it seems to me that in 95% of YA books the main character (or one of) disagrees with their family and rebels against them that is if the family is present in the book. I will talk more about Dimple throughout this review. I also enjoyed some of the side characters in this book and felt like their story was also important and would love to have a companion book following them two as well. I wouldn't say their names in this part of the review as it is a spoiler.

Like I said in the previous paragraph, I loved the fact that the parents/ family were present throughout this book. I hate the fact that half the time parents aren't in YA books; I just don't understand where they would be. But in this book both Dimple's and Rishi's parents are constantly in touch with them. Even though they go away to San Francisco they phone them up and talk to them about their time there. I also loved how accepting they were (even if it did take some time).

However, there was the whole reason I only gave this book 4.5 STARS instead of 5. This is because there were times when Dimple annoyed the hell out of me. She had such an attitude and could be horrible to everyone around her. I personally could over look this fact though really. I mean I could understand partly why she had this attitude, but that didn't make it any less annoying. I felt like Dimple had her attitude for some many reasons, which I will get into more in my spoiler section.

My spoiler thoughts
Let me know go into a bit more detail about what I loved and didn't love as much about this book. The first thing I am going to talk about is Rishi and how he was so determined to please his family and uphold their tradition. I thought this was quite refreshing to see in YA because like I previously mentioned most YA books don't have much of a family aspect in them let only when they all get along. I am in two minds about Rishi's obsession with trying to uphold his family's traditions and expectations. On one hand I did love his dedication. He was so eager to be a good son to his parents and stay true to his culture and the Indian beliefs. Like I keep saying I found this super refreshing to be included in a YA novel. But on the other hand, I did get a little annoyed by this. I couldn't understand why he wouldn't do what he wanted in life instead of whatever his parents wanted. This concept to me is really bizarre. I am quite family orientated I love spending time with my parents and my little sister. However, I would never ever base my career and life on what my parents wanted. In my eyes, my happiness is more important than doing a career my parents would want me to do. I wouldn't be happy in my job and life if I did want they wanted or followed in their footsteps. I wouldn't want to be unhappy in my life because I listened to what my parents wanted. I'm sure Rishi had his reasons for thinking that was his best option but I just couldn't agree with it personally. However I was so happy when he decided to follow his heart and do the career he thought would be best. I was really happy how supportive his family was of this decision, even if they couldn't understand it themselves.

Okay, so now on to Dimple. This girl could be so annoying at times like I said in my non-spoiler section but I feel like I could understand why she had this attitude. So here are the reasons why I think she had this attitude problem. Even though this reasons don't make her attitude acceptable because she was just horrible to some people.
  1. She mentions that she has had comments about her culture etc. mentioned at school. When dealing with the Aberzombies she says she has 'dealt with people like this before'. Therefore I feel like her attitude could be a defence mechanism. If she has an attitude people might be reluctant to say horrible comments to her in case she retaliates.
  2. Another reason is her family, especially her mother. Dimple and her mother are constantly bickering about Dimple, her views and her future. I feel like this has contributed to Dimple's attitude because again sort of a defence mechanism. So when her mother starts commenting on things such as Dimple not wearing makeup or Dimple not wanting to get married right now, Dimple can attempt to put her own thoughts across.
  3. The last reason I think Dimple had an attitude is the fact she constantly tells her parents that she doesn't care about finding the ideal Indian husband. Instead she wants to go to college and really focus on her career. Yet she arrives at her summer program to find they haven't listened and still plan on trying to get her married. I don't know about you but if this happened to me I would have a bit of an attitude as well.
I would like to comment on something I have noticed other people saying in their reviews so I don't seem ignorant. Some reviews of this book mention that they think that Dimple was abusive towards Rishi. This is their opinion and I respect that but I honestly didn't feel this way when I read this. I know which parts they are talking about and I can see how they could think this was abusive but I read it as more playful. I don't know if I wasn't paying enough attention to these scenes or what. I would love to re-read this book some time to see if my opinion changes. I thought I would mention this like I said so I don't seem ignorant and also to mention that some people could find this abusive.

I also enjoyed Dimple's friendship with Celia. I felt like they were quite different in their personalities yet they clicked. I enjoy a good friendship in YA books because I feel like most YA books focus more on relationships rather than friendship. So I was glad to see a good strong friendship in this book.

Quotes that I loved
"This is me, this is what I believe in, and this is why I'm different, and this is why that's okay."
"It's like taking a giant helium balloon full of your worries and just letting go."

Overall
Overall, I really enjoyed this book and would recommend this book for everyone to read. I especially enjoyed this book because it wasn't your typical YA contemporary book seeing as it is between two American Indian teenagers. Therefore if you are looking for a different contemporary or just want a contemporary book I would highly recommend you pick this book up to read.
You can find this book with these links;
Goodreads Book Depository Amazon Waterstones

I hope you enjoyed this post if you have read this book let me know what you thought down in the comments but please beware of spoilers!
See you next time,
Emma.
My Goodreads My Instagram My Twitter

3 comments:

  1. I have been hearing so many good things about this book, but I've also been hearing that some people don't like Dimple for reasons you stated. I'm kind of on the fence about reading it, but you seemed to really enjoy it so maybe I'll check it out soon. Great review!

    Erika @ Living for the Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I thought it was good. I could look past her attitude really because I thought it was sort of justified. Let me know if you do read it what you thought!

      Delete
  2. I have heard some iffy things about this one, but I enjoyed your review and I think I might give it a try. New follower here!

    Chelsey@Charming Chelsey’s

    ReplyDelete